Dr Ian Hamerton
Dr Ian Hamerton
BSc (Hons), PhD, CChem, FRSC
The Lodge, Norney Grange
Elstead Road, Shackleford
Surrey, GU8 6AY
I am currently Senior Lecturer of Organic Chemistry at Surrey University, following a career as both an academic and a researcher. In addition, I am actively involved in a number of high profile areas outside the University, including:
- NATO Consultant for the Science for Peace Programme (2001-present).
- Editorial Board member for Polymer International (a John Wiley publication) (1996-present).
- External examiner for PhD candidates from Brunel, Reading and Loughborough Universities, the Australian National University and Queensland University of Technology (Australia); also as internal examiner for a number of Departmental PhD and MSc candidates.
I have over 100 research publications in international, peer-reviewed journals and other media, including an edited book, three patent applications and a textbook. These include:
- Chemistry and Technology of Cyanate Ester Resins, edited, Blackie Academic and Professional, Glasgow, 1994 (also wrote chapters 1 and 7).
- Polymers the Environment and Sustainable Development, edited with A. Azapagic and A.M. Emsley, John Wiley, Chichester, 2002.
- "An electrifying future for plastics", Chemistry & Industry, Vol. 12, 2001, pp. 369-70 (invited article).
- "Double cantilever beam testing of repaired carbon fibre composites", with M.G. Bader, J.N. Hay, M. Kemp and S. Winchester, Composites, Vol. 31, 2000, pp. 603-8.
- "Computer modelling and chemical kinetics of the cure of aerospace resin systems", with B.J. Howlin, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 71, 1999, pp. 470-8.
- "Developments in thermoset composites – technology transfer from aerospace?" with J.N. Hay and S.J. Shaw, Proceedings of the 30th ISATA, Florence, Italy, 16-19 June, 1997.
- "Kinetic and computer modelling of epoxy resin cure", with I.P. Aspin, B.J. Howlin, J.R. Jones and M.J. Parker, Proceedings of the Conference on Epoxy Technologies for Ambient Cure Protective Coatings, Brussels, 12-14 May, 1997.
- "Molecular modelling of high performance polymers", with A.S. Deazle, C.R. Heald and B.J. Howlin, Polymer International, Vol. 41, 1996, pp. 151-8.
- "Development and applications of radio-size-exclusion chromatography", with I.P. Aspin, B.J. Howlin, J.R. Jones, M.J. Parker, J.C. Russell and T.A. Vick, Journal of Chromatography, Vol. 727, 1996, pp. 61-70.
- "Calculations of the physical and mechanical properties of polymers from computer simulation", with A.S. Deazle, C.R. Heald, B.J. Howlin and J.M. Barton, Proceedings of the SPSJ 44th Annual Meeting, Yokohama, Japan, May 29-31, 1995.
- "Kinetic and simulation studies of linear epoxy systems", with I.P. Aspin, J.M. Barton, G.J. Buist, A.S. Deazle, B.J. Howlin and J.R. Jones, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 4, 1994, pp. 385-8.
- "Solvation of gaseous non-electrolytes", with M.H. Abraham, P.L. Grellier, R.A. McGill, D.V. Prior and G.S. Whiting, Journal of the Chemical Society, Vol. 85, 1988, pp. 107-15.