Dr V.C. Sahni
Dr V.C. Sahni
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Technical Physics &
Prototype Engineering Division
Mumbai - 400 085
I am a scientist at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai, India. I originally gained a BSc (Hons) in physics from Delhi University and have been based at BARC ever since. In parallel, I gained my MSc in Applied Mathematics and PhD in Physics, both from Bombay University.
Equally at home with theoretical and practical work, I am interested in a variety of scientific disciplines and supervise R&D programmes at BARC in materials science, condensed matter, nuclear physics, accelerators and their applications, gamma ray astronomy, instrumentation etc. My own scientific expertise, acquired over the past three-and-a-half decades, covers many topics, including:
- lattice dynamics
- applications of group theory to problems of solid state physics
- Raman spectroscopy
- electronic structure and magnetic studies
- mass spectrometry
- synchrotron radiation sources and their usage
- use of accelerators in materials development and nuclear energy
- technology transfer of products developed in BARC to Indian industry.
I have taught numerous courses at the postgraduate level for three decades. I am a life member of the Materials Research Society of India (MRSI), Indian Physics Association (IPA) and the Indian Vacuum Society. I am also a member of the Advanced Technologies Committee of the Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences of the Department of Atomic Energy, member of the Executive Council of the Centre for the Materials for Electronic Technology and a Council Member of the Centre for Advanced Technology, etc.
I have over 100 research publications in international, peer-reviewed journals and other media, including two books. A small selection:
- Developments in Theoretical Physics, edited with S.M. Roy and M. Barma, Oxford & IBH Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1989.
- Dynamics of Perfect Crystals, with G. Venkataraman and L.A. Feldkamp, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1975.
- "Synthesis & characterisation of MgB2 superconductor", with D.K. Aswal, Shashwati Sen, Ajay Singh, T.V. C.Rao, J.C. Vyas, L.C. Gupta and S.K. Gupta, Physica, No. 363, 2001, p. 149.
- "A study of lead silicate glass degradation behaviour with reference to glass to metal seal applications", with G.P. Kothiyal, S.V. Phadnis, V.K. Shrikhande, T. Mirza and M.K. Totlani, Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, Vol. 47, 2000, p. 280.
- "Stability and metastability of disordered vortex phases", with S.S. Banerjee, S. Ramakrishnan, A.K. Grover, G. Ravikumar, P.K. Mishra, C.V. Tomy, G. Balakrishnan, D. McPaul, M.J. Higgins and S. Bhattacharya, Physica, No. 332, 2000, p. 135.
- "Study of magnetic properties of a cryogenic temperature sensor diode", with S.B. Ota, P.K. Mishra and M.R. Singh, Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 71, 2000, p. 1873.
- "A novel technique to measure magnetization hysteresis curves in the peak effect regime of superconductors", with G. Ravikumar, T.V.C. Rao, P.K. Mishra, S.S. Banerjee, A.K. Grover, S. Ramakrishnan, S. Bhattacharya, M.J. Higgins, E. Yamamoto, Y. Haga, M. Hedo, Y. Imada and Y. Onuki, Physica, No. 298, 1998, p. 122
- "Synthesis and characterization of lead silicate glass", with V.K. Shrikhande, T. Mirza, G.P. Kothiyal, K.P. Muthe, B.B. Sawant and P.V. Ravindran, Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics, Vol. 36, 1998, p. 449.
- "Materials issues in the so-called 'cold fusion' experiments", with R.Chidambaram, Current Science, Vol. 58, 1989, p. 597.
- "Simple gadget for variable temperature electrical resistance measurement", with S.B. Ota and T.V.C. Rao, Cryogenics, Vol. 29, 1989, p. 760.
- "A microprocessor-based energy dispersive x-ray diffractometer", with M.K. Sanyal and G.P. Das, Analytical Instrumentation, Vol. 16, 1987, p. 281.
- "On the calculation of cohesive energy using Compton profile", with G.P. Das, Journal of Physics, Vol. 16, 1983, p. 705.
- "Laser Raman spectrometer", with M.L. Bansal, T.R. Rao and A.P. Roy, Indian Journal of Physics, Vol. 50, 1976, p. 199.
- "On the choice of gamma ray sources for Compton profile studies, P.Chaddah and V.C.Sahni, Physica Status Solidi, No. 32a, 1975, p. 677.
- "On the application of group theory to spin waves in collinear magnetic structures", with G. Venkataraman, Advances in Physics, Vol. 23, 1974, p. 547.