> Quick guide to ePUB
Quick guide to ePUB
What is ePUB?
ePUB is a standard that renders ebook content into a format that can be easily read on a mobile device (phone, ebook reader, gaming devices etc). Users are able to download and print (PDF), read online (HTML) or download for reading on a portable device (ePUB).
What are the benefits of ePUB?
- Greater choice of reading formats for customers – Students are increasingly using portable devices to access information online and ePUB provides an optimized experience on such devices by rendering content specifically for mobile.
- Industry credibility – ePUB is the market leading industry standard for the optimized provision of eBooks content via mobile devices.
- Supports a large selection of devices – ePUB is an article format that is compatible with many ebook devices like Apple iPad and iPhone, Android, Sony eReader, B&N Nook and more. It is also an open standard, which means there is no fee associated with the creation, distribution, or consumption of the ePUB format.
- Easy to read on multiple screen sizes and dimensions – Unlike the PDF format, ePUB allows digital publication text to ‘reflow’ according to screen size, enabling the publisher to distribute and the reader to consume digital publications on a variety of screen sizes.
- Supports more advanced features than other formats – ePUB has advanced layout/design capabilities, supports images and multi-level table of contents.
- New business opportunities – The growth of ebooks in recent years is nothing short of phenomenal and by integrating the ePUB format, Emerald will be well placed to meet its customers’ ever evolving needs.
How can users access ePUB?
- To download ePUB files, a website visitor must first have access to the relevant book chapters through their institution and be either logged in or authenticated via an institution IP address.
- Once logged in, or authenticated, the customer sees the ePUB file icon appear on the Emerald website as an additional download option (alongside HTML and PDF).
- Ebooks and ebook chapters can then be downloaded on various mobile devices in ePUB format for individual ebooks and ebook chapters on the Emerald website.